Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Proud Momma-Like -Moment at a Youth Tri

Ok.. so training has been going pretty slowly due to my stoopid-crazy-schmazy schedule. (as has regular blogging, however I have been writing them down on paper so I will transpose shortly). YAY! CHEER!

So on Sunday I attended a youth triathlon for a kid I'm coaching. That was such a 'proud momma' moment for me. I had met "lil K' about 5 years back when she was barely crawling down the lane of the pool as her acting swim coach. She has SUCH A PERSONALITY and her parents knew that we had clicked somehow. Years later, she has expressed interest in triathlon and her parents approached me asking if I would help her get ready for her first triathlon.

So Sunday was the big moment. I was proudly cheering her on in the swim as she mopped up the competition and was the first swimmer to the wall. 2nd out of the water.. we will work on that. Then off to transition. We had worked on transitions so much and I was ASTONISHED to see everyone else's parents dressing the kids for them. As 'lil K' and I watched the first heat of swimmers, I leaned over to her and told her that I was not going to do that for her, and that this was her race not mine. She said " I know.. thats why we practiced!".. ahhhh fantastic. She learned something! So off to transitions and that lil bugger was super speedy getting herself dressed then out on the bike. I was so excited to watch her pedal off in the lead.

THEN OUT OF NO WHERE this lil monster of an athlete no bigger than a lima bean comes barreling around the corner with her leggs pumping like pistons. She dropped her chain giving 'lil K' a chance to pull ahead. Then the lima bean just picked it right back up and you could barely see her thru the dust cloud she left behind. About 3 1/2 seconds later you see her, and only her, the lima bean, coming back around from looping around the buildings into the finishing chute. Did she kick the rest of the kids?...... we waited, and waited? Still no other kids?.. then we see a helmet and you could hear the parents.. "Is that him? Is that her?.. no.. yes..." Still no 'lil K'. Finally I see her lil purple helmet coming around the corner and I got excited again and cheered her into the bike finish.

I have never seen an adult transition as fast as she went from bike to run. She didn't even toss her bike. She completely impressed me. I took off after her because as promised, I ran the run course with her. I believe she was overcome by emotions of the excitement of the race because the water works started. I wanted to stop her and hug her. Even though running is not her forte, she finished strong as she prodded her dad to take her to Six Flags after it was over.

I was so proud of her and as she walked away with her trophy, I couldn't help but feel like a proud momma watching her baby do something extroidinary. I have known her for just about over half of her life and to see her doing something like this gave me all the warm fuzzies I needed to last me a good while.


............


...................

............................

until later that day when I rode 70 miles with a slowly leaking tire..... sigh.......



see next blog.....

No comments:

Post a Comment